Skip to main content

loco moco

This week was jam packed with fun adventures and amazing friends. The photography team is short staffed, so my days have been extra long, but that hasn't stopped me from filling my free time with one fun thing after another. Mostly all of my adventures have involved delicious meals this week, but we all know food is one of my very favorite things.On Thursday, we rented a jeep and headed to Eggberts in Kauai. I feasted on a plate of french toast topped with macadamia nuts and banana slices and lightly drenched in coconut syrup. One word: yum. Theo and I worked our magic and scored a fire engine red jeep for our day of fun. Peter and I were the precious cargo in the back seat.
The next morning, Theo and I went to Kalapaki Beach Hut and gave the loco moco a try. The loco moco is a Hawaiian breakfast specialty. They cover the plate in a bed of white rice, add a hamburger on top, next is an egg made-to-order (I picked over easy), and it is all smothered in a layer of gravy. To some of you it may sound a little strange, and I, the queen of all things edible, was hesitant to try it myself. Fortunately, I was so proud of my decision. It was delicious. We met a very sweet couple there that were headed to Kansas City later that day!That evening was the last performance of the Oh What A Night crew that was currently on the ship. They rocked their performance, and we all headed up to Waikiki Bar afterward to bid farewell to Christian and spend one final night of fun together. The night was filled with comedy, dancing, singing, and smiles for everyone.On Saturday, we headed to the real Waikiki on Oahu. Here is where I fell in love with The Cream Pot. It was a delicious outdoor bistro nestled in downtown Waikiki. The brunch started with glasses of fresh strawberry lemonade. It was so fresh that there were chunks of strawberries and lemon floating in the glass of delicious! That was followed up by a dark chocolate filled crepe topped with strawberries and whip cream, and smoked salmon eggs benedict. We then explored Waikiki and headed back to work work work.
Last night I joined some friends to see The Hangover 2. It was a good chance to get in some big belly laughs with fun friends. Can't wait to see what is around the corner for this life of sand and sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mele Kalikimaka

Ok so I know it has been WAY too long since my last post, but I have been WAY too busy to sit down and type for the last few weeks. The ship has been insane with the holidays, and I am just now seeing some rest in my future! Lots has happened since I wrote last, and I am learning more and more about ship life daily. There is a lot that separates my life now from my life 2 months ago. I used to come home at the end of the day and walk right into my house. Now, I go through 3 security check points and a metal detector every time i enter my "house." I used to drive around town and grab a bite to eat with friends, now, without a car, I have to walk through drive-thrus when the inside of a restaurant is closed. I used to have to leave 15-30 minutes early to make it to class or work on time. Now, I leave 2 minutes before my shift! I used to wake up to a concrete plant and creepy neighbors. Now, I wake up to oceans and mountains. I used to walk around and see squirrels everywhere. N

where are you christmas?

Although my life at sea has ended, the memories are alive and well. With the holiday season in full force, I am reminded of the great opportunities I have been given, and the amazing journey that has brought me to where I am today. ( I know what you are thinking; cheesy opener Melissa. Blame the rum cake, and get some yourself, because the next paragraph is a little mushy gushy too!) The holidays are a time of year filled with long-standing traditions. Families gather around the table in November to give thanks for the blessings in their lives and break bread with each other (or in my case, see how much green bean casserole can fit in one human stomach.) The Advent season begins as families again join one another in decorating the Christmas tree, setting up the nativity, baking cookies, hanging lights outside the house, and exchanging gifts. These traditions bring us closer to each other as we reflect on the birth of Jesus. It is the part of the year when the time spent with fam

what a hunk

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. Whew, between training a new photographer on the team and saying goodbye to Theo, I am just now settling back into a normal life. Since we left off, I have competed in an Uno tournament, tried Poi (Hawaiian specialty), witnessed the most awkward wedding in the history of weddings, survived a sinus infection, and went to NCL's prom. As usual, my life is one event after another, with a little time to sleep and eat in between! Theo and I started June off in the best way we found possible, do the tourist thing. Rather than going to the local dives we know and love, we headed straight through the busy gift shops occupied by all the tourists and grabbed lunch at Bubba Gumps. When lunch was finished we both agreed we had saved just enough room for a small dessert, and the mud slide pie sounded like the perfect little tasty treat. Much to our surprise, the mud slide pie is practically the size of a wedding cake! We tried our best to demolish the mo