Skip to main content

picture this

Well, the title says it all. I am leaving this blog to your imagination due to a complete lack of picture taking in the last few weeks. Don't get me wrong, I still take 500- 1,000 pictures a day for work, but in my off time, I have been slacking when it comes to capturing the memories of my day to day life. So, step into the imagination station and enjoy this very wordy blog post.
Rewind, to 1979, Louisburg, Kansas. My uncle moved out of the house after high school, leaving my mom with my grandparents. What better way to fill the extra space than to host a foreign exchange student? Enter, Rika, a Japanese teenager ready to explore what America had to offer. She spent a year with my family and remained close with them after returning to Japan. Fast forward, June 2011, Honolulu, Hawaii. Rika has moved to Honolulu with her husband and we were able to meet up. The last time she saw my family was in 1983, but she immediately drove toward me as I stood on the pier waiting to meet her. She said she recognized me from a mile away because I am the spitting image of my mother. (I have been hearing that a lot lately and I don't know how I feel about it yet!) Rika and I had a blast grabbing sushi, going shopping, and swapping stories. I got to hear a lot of stories of my mother's glory days that she has failed to tell me, and it was fun to hear stories about my grandparents that no one else has ever shared! It has been way fun getting to know her and I can't wait to spend more time with her.
The following weekend was the Monsters Inc. extravaganza 2011! What started as a movie night for three people turned into a large event. We each started inviting a few friends and realized that the group of people attending would no longer fit in a cabin. We booked a conference room on the ship. The party was BYOP&S (Bring Your Own Pillow and Snacks) With an array of pizza, popcorn, chips, candy, cookies, and soda, we all dove into sugar overload and movie madness. We all had a great time and have decided to make this a regular event!
This week I met a hilarious couple from Australia on board. They stop by the photo gallery each night and make fun of all of the photos we take. It is hilarious to hear the captions they create for photos. To top it off, they are obsessed with www.peopleofwalmart.com. Being from Australia, they did not realize that Walmart was actually a legitimate and popular place to go. When they found out the ship offered a free shuttle to Walmart, they were ecstatic! They grabbed their cameras and had a ball visiting the Walmarts on the islands in hope of finding something that is website worthy! It has been quite entertaining getting to know this pair, and has made the week fly by.
Other than that, I have been catching up on sleep, eating lots of fruit smiles, and hanging out with friends on board. I can't believe my birthday is just around the corner, and I am certainly glad I am avoiding the extreme heat at home. Hopefully the next post will be a little more visually appealing, but thanks for continuing to join my adventures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mele Kalikimaka

Ok so I know it has been WAY too long since my last post, but I have been WAY too busy to sit down and type for the last few weeks. The ship has been insane with the holidays, and I am just now seeing some rest in my future! Lots has happened since I wrote last, and I am learning more and more about ship life daily. There is a lot that separates my life now from my life 2 months ago. I used to come home at the end of the day and walk right into my house. Now, I go through 3 security check points and a metal detector every time i enter my "house." I used to drive around town and grab a bite to eat with friends, now, without a car, I have to walk through drive-thrus when the inside of a restaurant is closed. I used to have to leave 15-30 minutes early to make it to class or work on time. Now, I leave 2 minutes before my shift! I used to wake up to a concrete plant and creepy neighbors. Now, I wake up to oceans and mountains. I used to walk around and see squirrels everywhere. N

where are you christmas?

Although my life at sea has ended, the memories are alive and well. With the holiday season in full force, I am reminded of the great opportunities I have been given, and the amazing journey that has brought me to where I am today. ( I know what you are thinking; cheesy opener Melissa. Blame the rum cake, and get some yourself, because the next paragraph is a little mushy gushy too!) The holidays are a time of year filled with long-standing traditions. Families gather around the table in November to give thanks for the blessings in their lives and break bread with each other (or in my case, see how much green bean casserole can fit in one human stomach.) The Advent season begins as families again join one another in decorating the Christmas tree, setting up the nativity, baking cookies, hanging lights outside the house, and exchanging gifts. These traditions bring us closer to each other as we reflect on the birth of Jesus. It is the part of the year when the time spent with fam

what a hunk

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. Whew, between training a new photographer on the team and saying goodbye to Theo, I am just now settling back into a normal life. Since we left off, I have competed in an Uno tournament, tried Poi (Hawaiian specialty), witnessed the most awkward wedding in the history of weddings, survived a sinus infection, and went to NCL's prom. As usual, my life is one event after another, with a little time to sleep and eat in between! Theo and I started June off in the best way we found possible, do the tourist thing. Rather than going to the local dives we know and love, we headed straight through the busy gift shops occupied by all the tourists and grabbed lunch at Bubba Gumps. When lunch was finished we both agreed we had saved just enough room for a small dessert, and the mud slide pie sounded like the perfect little tasty treat. Much to our surprise, the mud slide pie is practically the size of a wedding cake! We tried our best to demolish the mo