Skip to main content

twenty twelve


2012 started off with a bang... from all the fireworks of course! We watched the fireworks as we sailed by Waikiki and partied on the pool deck. Oh what I would give to be in that sailboat on the water. I miss sailing, and it is moments like these that make me so jealous.I was as sparkley as the ball in Times Square with my new rose gold jacket! It was a great time with friends as we rang in the new year like only Norwegians can! Please note 4 things in the above pictures:
1. Todd and Silas did not plan to wear matching outfits.
2. Joe made that sparkley bow tie himself. I just so happen to love bow ties, sparkles, and Joe, so that made for a triple amazing combination.
3. I have awesome friends.
4. I made a different facial expression in every single pJust a few days later was everyone's second favorite holiday of the year, my half birthday! (obviously my birthday is the annual favorite) We headed out on the town at midnight to ring in my 23.5 milestone of a half birthday. The next day I pampered myself with a massage and a night out on the ship with friends.Theo came back to the ship and we went right back to causing trouble as usual. We haven't seen each other since our road trip, so this reunion was much anticipated. Jonathan has also joined the Oh What A Night cast on the ship. It is fun having the boys around. Please take a moment to look at the adorable new scarf I made from an old tshirt. Mahalo pinterest!
I have discovered my new favorite dance move. It is called "the cursive." Basically you just spell your name in cursive with your hips! It is all the rave for me and my dance happy pals, and I even convinced Jonathan to do it on stage during one of their shows!
Last week I shot a wedding. The groom had been married years ago and swore he would never marry again. As a result, the couple has been together for 40 years and they have NEVER married! The groom used to always joke "I'll get married when I move to Hawaii." He never actually intended to visit Hawaii, however, his family planned the trip and his son respectfully reminded him of what he had always said. So, he and his brother planned the entire wedding and surprised the bride with the news of his plans when they boarded the ship. She was ecstatic, and they were so fun! I had a blast getting to know them and their family throughout the week, and they are begging me to come visit in Florida on my vacation.
Other than that, I have been a book worm and Starbucks addict lately. I read the entire "Hunger Games" trilogy in two weeks, and finished "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" in three days! I highly recommend both. Now I just need to see all these movies. As far as Starbucks goes, if I consume one more peppermint mocha frappuchino, I think I might turn into a frappuchino. I just can't stay away from those things!
I must admit, this might be the shortest blog post I have ever written, an hopefully I will have some more blog worthy adventures soon. Maybe if I take my nose out of my kindle, I can do a little more exploring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mele Kalikimaka

Ok so I know it has been WAY too long since my last post, but I have been WAY too busy to sit down and type for the last few weeks. The ship has been insane with the holidays, and I am just now seeing some rest in my future! Lots has happened since I wrote last, and I am learning more and more about ship life daily. There is a lot that separates my life now from my life 2 months ago. I used to come home at the end of the day and walk right into my house. Now, I go through 3 security check points and a metal detector every time i enter my "house." I used to drive around town and grab a bite to eat with friends, now, without a car, I have to walk through drive-thrus when the inside of a restaurant is closed. I used to have to leave 15-30 minutes early to make it to class or work on time. Now, I leave 2 minutes before my shift! I used to wake up to a concrete plant and creepy neighbors. Now, I wake up to oceans and mountains. I used to walk around and see squirrels everywhere. N

where are you christmas?

Although my life at sea has ended, the memories are alive and well. With the holiday season in full force, I am reminded of the great opportunities I have been given, and the amazing journey that has brought me to where I am today. ( I know what you are thinking; cheesy opener Melissa. Blame the rum cake, and get some yourself, because the next paragraph is a little mushy gushy too!) The holidays are a time of year filled with long-standing traditions. Families gather around the table in November to give thanks for the blessings in their lives and break bread with each other (or in my case, see how much green bean casserole can fit in one human stomach.) The Advent season begins as families again join one another in decorating the Christmas tree, setting up the nativity, baking cookies, hanging lights outside the house, and exchanging gifts. These traditions bring us closer to each other as we reflect on the birth of Jesus. It is the part of the year when the time spent with fam

what a hunk

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. Whew, between training a new photographer on the team and saying goodbye to Theo, I am just now settling back into a normal life. Since we left off, I have competed in an Uno tournament, tried Poi (Hawaiian specialty), witnessed the most awkward wedding in the history of weddings, survived a sinus infection, and went to NCL's prom. As usual, my life is one event after another, with a little time to sleep and eat in between! Theo and I started June off in the best way we found possible, do the tourist thing. Rather than going to the local dives we know and love, we headed straight through the busy gift shops occupied by all the tourists and grabbed lunch at Bubba Gumps. When lunch was finished we both agreed we had saved just enough room for a small dessert, and the mud slide pie sounded like the perfect little tasty treat. Much to our surprise, the mud slide pie is practically the size of a wedding cake! We tried our best to demolish the mo