Skip to main content

into the china cabinet

Well, to make up for my previously low key blog, I have managed to find some time to do a little adventuring for this episode of life in Hawaii.I was given the opportunity to explore the Hilo botanical gardens, and they were gorgeous. The pictures speak for themselves.Not only do they fill the acres of the gardens with loads of beautifully colored flowers and plants, you can also find a massive waterfall and oceanfront views while exploring the property. I am definitely glad I got to see what nature had to offer in Hilo.That Saturday, I got the majority of the day off! Theo and I headed to Diamond Head crater and took the hike to the top overlooking Waikiki on Oahu. As you can see, it was very windy, but the views were great!My dream is to someday live in the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. However, if that does not work out, I think I could settle for this light house we spotted on the way down from our hike. I feel like a light house would be a great place for entertaining. Whenever people ask where the party is going to be, I can just tell them to "Follow the light!"
Right as we reached the bottom and were headed for the bus stop, my phone rang. It was Erin calling to check in and share the news that SHE IS ENGAGED! I am so excited for both Erin and Corbin and am looking forward to all of the happiness they will share! Yay and congratulations you two!Later that week, Sam, Josh, and I decided to try out real Hawaiian shaved ice. Although I am pretty partial to Tropical Sno in Pittsburg, this was good too. I must say Tropical Sno still ranks at the top of my list and is too close to my heart to be replaced. This place, however, is home to massive servings. The ones we got were the smallest size they have!
The next night was another one of those epic nights on the town. What started as an innocent little night out with friends, ended with chicken fights in the street, toilet papering the rooms of friends, and a slumber party that included no slumber but a lot of party. It was such a fun night, and one that won't be forgotten anytime soon. The next night, I pulled another all-nighter of movie watching and fun with friends, and swore that would be my last for a while. A girl has got to sleep right?!?Wrong. Two days later, I was up again, headed to Haleakala crater for another sunrise with the guys. We wanted to experiment with some fun night shots, but the wind was so intense, the tripod could not stand up and our freezing fingers could not stay out in the cold for long.This being my fourth time to see the sunrise, I abandoned the straight horizon and did some experimenting with angles as the sun rose.
On Wednesday, the waters were too rough for us to port, and we were forced to spend the day at sea. Unfortunately that meant the rafting trip I had planned was canceled, but Theo made up for it by letting me chill in his room watching movies and having a big breakfast in bed that consisted of omelets, bagels, and fresh fruit! He is such a good pal, and always knows just how to take care of me!Saturday night I was not going to get a dinner break until 9:00pm. After discussing how hungry we would be, Josh and I decided to try out the Japanese steakhouse on board. When we got there, we discovered that our entire table was a group of our friends and were excited to be spending the evening with them. Even better, the executive chef on board decided to be our teppanyaki chef! Chef Casey was the original teppanyaki chef on the ship's maiden voyage from Europe, and has since moved up to the executive chef on board. He has not worked the teppanyaki table in years, but decided to show off his skills and give us a special treat! All of the other chefs were peering through the window as he cooked our food and cheering as he did sweet tricks! Afterward, we headed up to Pink's Champagne bar to see Dave play the piano. He let Julia and Dewitt come up and sing while he played, and Emily danced around the piano. It was such a perfect way to end the night!
Right now I am sitting in the laundromat and blogging. I have been too busy staying up at night and sleeping during the day to get any laundry done, and it is much faster to do it all at once here! Of course, if the biggest consequence of my adventuring is that the laundry doesn't get done, so be it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

where are you christmas?

Although my life at sea has ended, the memories are alive and well. With the holiday season in full force, I am reminded of the great opportunities I have been given, and the amazing journey that has brought me to where I am today. ( I know what you are thinking; cheesy opener Melissa. Blame the rum cake, and get some yourself, because the next paragraph is a little mushy gushy too!) The holidays are a time of year filled with long-standing traditions. Families gather around the table in November to give thanks for the blessings in their lives and break bread with each other (or in my case, see how much green bean casserole can fit in one human stomach.) The Advent season begins as families again join one another in decorating the Christmas tree, setting up the nativity, baking cookies, hanging lights outside the house, and exchanging gifts. These traditions bring us closer to each other as we reflect on the birth of Jesus. It is the part of the year when the time spent with fam

Mele Kalikimaka

Ok so I know it has been WAY too long since my last post, but I have been WAY too busy to sit down and type for the last few weeks. The ship has been insane with the holidays, and I am just now seeing some rest in my future! Lots has happened since I wrote last, and I am learning more and more about ship life daily. There is a lot that separates my life now from my life 2 months ago. I used to come home at the end of the day and walk right into my house. Now, I go through 3 security check points and a metal detector every time i enter my "house." I used to drive around town and grab a bite to eat with friends, now, without a car, I have to walk through drive-thrus when the inside of a restaurant is closed. I used to have to leave 15-30 minutes early to make it to class or work on time. Now, I leave 2 minutes before my shift! I used to wake up to a concrete plant and creepy neighbors. Now, I wake up to oceans and mountains. I used to walk around and see squirrels everywhere. N

what a hunk

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. Whew, between training a new photographer on the team and saying goodbye to Theo, I am just now settling back into a normal life. Since we left off, I have competed in an Uno tournament, tried Poi (Hawaiian specialty), witnessed the most awkward wedding in the history of weddings, survived a sinus infection, and went to NCL's prom. As usual, my life is one event after another, with a little time to sleep and eat in between! Theo and I started June off in the best way we found possible, do the tourist thing. Rather than going to the local dives we know and love, we headed straight through the busy gift shops occupied by all the tourists and grabbed lunch at Bubba Gumps. When lunch was finished we both agreed we had saved just enough room for a small dessert, and the mud slide pie sounded like the perfect little tasty treat. Much to our surprise, the mud slide pie is practically the size of a wedding cake! We tried our best to demolish the mo