Skip to main content

it's not the same

Let's set the Chinese dragon aside and all agree that more than the dragon, this is the year of the goofball. it is in my world at least. We all know that I am not afraid to be as goofy as possible, and I have been proving that lately. Above is a photo of me at work. I promise I am working hard while I am here!I don't know many people that go parasailing on their lunch break, but I guess that is just one of the perks of the crazy lifestyle I have acquired. Theo and I took off for a little adventure in the sky overlooking the Kona coast. it was so much fun, and now everyone is trying to convince me to go skydiving. I don't know if that is an adventure I am ready for, but we will see.Mondays have become Ruby's days. Maui is home to Ruby's Diner, where everything says "shooby dooby down to Ruby's." That is exactly what we do every Monday, and we have really enjoyed getting some delicious grub while we are there.The next week, Alex performed his last "Luau-ser's Lounge" (loser's lounge) at the Dancing With the Stars competition. The combination of it being his birthday, and Todd's last week on board made for some excitement filled segments. Yes, cake in the face, and lots of obnoxious dance moves and shirtless men were involved!Also that week was the birthday of another friend on board and we celebrated with pizza, treats, fun, and games in the Lanai bar. Emily and I borrowed everyone's party hats and decided to be party dinosaurs. After all, who wouldn't want a party dinosaur at their birthday?!?I have been so lucky to become such good friends with Emily. Believe it or not, her dorkiness and ridiculous meter happen to be on the same level as mine! We have so much fun creating a whole new meaning for the word goofball. She is also a very talented artist, and created the painting above for me to hang in my room! One night, we decided to stay in and do a little ribbon dancing. Luckily we were smart enough to capture some of it on video for the whole world to see. See our Ribbon Spectacular for yourself by clicking here.
Theo, Jonathan, and the men of Oh What A Night put together a show for the crew so that crew that don't get to go to their main stage show can see it and tell guests about it. During the show, Theo ripped his pants! It was a pretty hilarious version, and priceless that we got to be there for the moment, rather than a passenger audience.
Rain or shine, we still make it to Ruby's every week. One week our shooby doobying required umbrellas. We got a banana split to brighten the day. We couldn't fit in the photo with the banana split, so we drew ourselves in using the doodle feature on my new phone!Yesterday, Emily and I went on the "Magical Sea horse Discovery" tour. I will admit there was not very much about it that I would call magical, but we did have a good time. They had us try seaweed. The red was supposed to taste the best, but in my opinion, I would rather go without my daily dose of seaweed. After we were able to reach into the tank and sea horses wrapped their tails around our fingers! It was pretty fun to interact with them.While we were waiting for the cab to pick us up from the sea horse farm, we climbed around on the lava rocks on a beach nearby.We then grabbed lunch and on our way back to the ship we saw a can with flags on the street corner. Of course we picked them up and began directing traffic. Funny thing is, cars were actually stopping, and the little old en in the store near by were getting a kick out of our little charade. I just thought it was a perfect ending to a fun-filled lunch break!
And so the goofiness continues!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mele Kalikimaka

Ok so I know it has been WAY too long since my last post, but I have been WAY too busy to sit down and type for the last few weeks. The ship has been insane with the holidays, and I am just now seeing some rest in my future! Lots has happened since I wrote last, and I am learning more and more about ship life daily. There is a lot that separates my life now from my life 2 months ago. I used to come home at the end of the day and walk right into my house. Now, I go through 3 security check points and a metal detector every time i enter my "house." I used to drive around town and grab a bite to eat with friends, now, without a car, I have to walk through drive-thrus when the inside of a restaurant is closed. I used to have to leave 15-30 minutes early to make it to class or work on time. Now, I leave 2 minutes before my shift! I used to wake up to a concrete plant and creepy neighbors. Now, I wake up to oceans and mountains. I used to walk around and see squirrels everywhere. N

where are you christmas?

Although my life at sea has ended, the memories are alive and well. With the holiday season in full force, I am reminded of the great opportunities I have been given, and the amazing journey that has brought me to where I am today. ( I know what you are thinking; cheesy opener Melissa. Blame the rum cake, and get some yourself, because the next paragraph is a little mushy gushy too!) The holidays are a time of year filled with long-standing traditions. Families gather around the table in November to give thanks for the blessings in their lives and break bread with each other (or in my case, see how much green bean casserole can fit in one human stomach.) The Advent season begins as families again join one another in decorating the Christmas tree, setting up the nativity, baking cookies, hanging lights outside the house, and exchanging gifts. These traditions bring us closer to each other as we reflect on the birth of Jesus. It is the part of the year when the time spent with fam

what a hunk

The last two weeks have been a whirlwind. Whew, between training a new photographer on the team and saying goodbye to Theo, I am just now settling back into a normal life. Since we left off, I have competed in an Uno tournament, tried Poi (Hawaiian specialty), witnessed the most awkward wedding in the history of weddings, survived a sinus infection, and went to NCL's prom. As usual, my life is one event after another, with a little time to sleep and eat in between! Theo and I started June off in the best way we found possible, do the tourist thing. Rather than going to the local dives we know and love, we headed straight through the busy gift shops occupied by all the tourists and grabbed lunch at Bubba Gumps. When lunch was finished we both agreed we had saved just enough room for a small dessert, and the mud slide pie sounded like the perfect little tasty treat. Much to our surprise, the mud slide pie is practically the size of a wedding cake! We tried our best to demolish the mo